WELCOME

Mama Ginger Tree doesn't live here anymore.  I have moved to The Norwindians.  The names have changed, but we're the same family.  Please add The Norwindians to your reader!

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Scenes From My Weekend

Act 1:  We started our weekend by celebrating my brother-in-laws birthday on Friday night.   The restaurant had some freaky decor, but the food was solid.    The service crap though.  I was sitting across the table from my sister and she ordered the surf and turf.  After they took our plates away, her hands were glistening.  I almost had to shield my eyes from the glare.  After about ten minutes and a couple of requests for a towel, they finally brought her some hot towels and lemons.   Despite the service, a good time was had by all. 


Act 2:  Saturday night.  I spent the evening in my kitchen cooking some food for a friend going through a tough time.    It's been a while since I've spent that much time in my kitchen, but I found some good vegetarian recipes and I enjoy cooking.   I just can't stand my kitchen, but that is a post for another day.  Mr. Mint made chicken curry.  Yum, yum and super yum.   Mr. Mint's chicken curry is one of the reasons I married him.  Before I met him, I don't think I had ever had Indian food.   Now I even attempt to make some Indian dishes myself and the kids gobbled up the leftovers for lunch on Sunday.

Act 3:  Mr. Mint flew off to New York for business stuff.  Gloppy had a play date with Grandma Nutt and I took Princess Lolly and Princess Frostine to see Disney's On Ice, Princess Wishes.  Lolly and Frostine have just about outgrown the princess phase, so it was sort of our last hooray with Cinderella and her posse.  It was cute... Disney puts on a good show.  I mean really, where else can you see dancing silverware.

I realize that in some circles Ariel, Aurora, and Belle are very uncool.  Anti-feminist even.  I know some even think Disney is the in bed with satan.   I have never purposely kept my girls away from it, nor have I bought them Princess bed sheets and curtains.  They were Cinderella and Ariel for Halloween when they were three and this past year they were Jasmine and Mulan.  (I personally think Mulan kicks @ss and is a fine role model for young girls).  You are free to disagree, but I don't think exposure to Disney Princesses has done lasting harm to them.   They don't really pay much attention to the princes in the stories.   I don't believe they will grow up waiting for a prince to come and save them so they can be happy.  Besides, the messages aren't all bad.  Belle is a loner who loves books and falls in love with someone "beastly" because he's a good person.   I asked Lolly what she liked best about Ariel and she said, "she is a really good singer."  Frostine said her favorite thing about Cinderella is that "she has lots of animal friends and pretty shoes."  I know I appreciate pretty shoes.   So yes, I am ready to say farewell to the princess phase and introduce them to some more modern ladies to look up to.  Who know, maybe they will see the first female president in their lifetime.

Final Act:  Before I go to bed, I need to address and stamp invitations for my sister-in-laws wedding shower I am hosting in a few weeks.   More on that later, but check out these pretty invites I picked up.

I have a stationery fetish and picking out invites is my favorite part of throwing a party.

That's all I got for today.  Now I must go fill these out, fold laundry and go to bed.

No comments: