I go on vacation with my sister's family twice a year. In the winter we rent a house in the snow and in the summer we rent a lake house together. It works out quite well since I am comfortable getting mad at my husband in front of them, we both put our kids to bed pretty early, my brother-in-law used to be a bartender and makes a mean margarita and our kids are all around the same age and get along famously. The house at the lake we rent each year is massive.
This past summer while we were at the lake, my sister mentioned that we could easily accommodate another family. We started listing all our friends and coming up with reasons that we could never go on vacation with them. We finally settled on my friend V and her family. Here was our reasoning:
1. They only bring one other child into the mix and he's a very well behaved, sweet boy.
2. Gloppy is the only boy cousin and he could use another little boy to play with, and V's son is the right age.
3. V's husband J is hilarious and really fun at parties.
4. J is also a total kid at heart and will keep the kids entertained for hours making up silly games and goofing around. We call him the fifth Wiggle.
5. V is a small woman and she won't eat much.
6. J is a master behind the grill.
7. V is not one to gossip or say mean things behind someone's back, which may cut down on trash talking for me and my sister. But the good thing is she won't go back and tell everyone how crazy my family really is.
So we decided that we might invite V and J and their darling son with us to the lake next year. It's still under discussion, but for now they hold the title of "Least Annoying Family."
Congratulations V & J!! No offense to any of my other friends who might be reading this. I love you all, but maybe not enough to go on vacation with you. Sorry.